Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Plan for Regaining Health

THE PLAN FOR REGAINING HEALTH


Patience gives the power to practice:  Practice gives the power that leads to perfection.  (Yogi tea wisdom for today)
Perfection is not required here.  Only Patience and Practice.  Perfection, to me is NOT doing a asana perfectly or being the size I was in high school, or even staying awake all day.  Perfection to me is ... showing up on the mat, eating what is good for me, and living today the very best way I can.  Let's get started!


In this little blog, it is my objective to show you some easy steps to get you started feeling better soon.  I had Cushing's disease but I think much of what I learned can help folks with all kinds of issues or no issues at all.  I was sick for a long time and over time I developed a "system" to keep me on track to feeling better. This is not difficult I promise (I had a tumor in my brain...so how hard can it be?). 

Recently, I went to see "my" Neurosurgeon, Dr Oyesiku.  He was so proud of how far I had come...that he gave me that BIG beautiful smile of his and a high five.  This made me proud too, like I just won the Olympics or something.  As usual, there was a small herd of young Doctors following Dr O around that day and I thought, I wanted them to learn how to be so successful in beating this recurring Cushing's beast.  It is true that the Doctors here at Emory University with the Pituitary Center have the best tools and therapies to make you better.  You are in the right place for your medical care, for sure.  But, my friend, the everyday of this living with Cushing's or it's aftermath is only up to you.  This is my plan to regaining health.  May it help you on your way.

__________________________________________________________________

This is my daily sheet that tells me everything.  If you are high tech maybe you can make a phone app.  I just use a notebook with paper and write it out each morning.

Wednesday, March 3

  • water * * * * * * * * *  (8 boxes to check off)
  • Keifer ^
  • cultured veggies # #
  • walk/yoga
  • nap1 (I schedule these and write how long this way I can plan to meet folks or kid things around my naps.  If I'm too tired I can't drive.  If i'm too tired I just start to cry and this freaks out the grocery clerk)
  • nap2
Stuff I gotta Do today:
Charlie to vet ---take meds bottle

pick up child at 4pm

vacuum living room ( i make small achievable goals...if I write vacuum house...I can't do that and breathe...so I just vacuum one room and then another later.  I have a really small house now and that helps.  I used to have 3 floors but I didn't go on the other floors for a couple of years because I couldn't do the stairs)

Breakfast--
scrambled egg with advacado
OJ
Keifer

Lunch
salad with cultured veggies, nuts, beets, drew's lime dressing

Snack
fabulous smoothie in my Vitamix that I adore 
+ my 16 year old daughter intorduces the Vitamix to her friends like it is a family memeber..."and this is my Mom's Vitamix that she is in love with"

Dinner
Grilled Chicken and summer squash with a small side of brown rice and 1/2 cup of cultured veggies

Snacks
Green tea
2 spoons of peanut butter (this is probably bad for me but I adore peanut butter and i'm sure it is better than eating a certain chocolate covered peanut butter)

MEDICATIONS--did you take them Jamie?  then check here +

I write all this down, so I can see how I am doing and it really helps to remind me and make me accountable.  I want to check everything off my list.
so that is it The Plan 
  It is EASY!  "It is not brain surgery here we are talking about!"  (ha! I made a joke)  This is just a list to make sure you are caring well for yourself.  Lists are good...even Santa has one.

Now, you can get more detailed information about implementing the plan by clicking "the plan" under important pages.


1 comment: