Wednesday, August 17, 2011

For Example

My family gave me a kindle for my birthday.  I adore it.  I can carry a load of books around with me in this cute little book size gadget.  I can have all these poems with me all the time as well as a couple of fiction and crossword puzzles.  Amazing. 

Anyway, continuing on my disabled and a little ticked theme here is a lovely poem about a rescue gull by Mary Oliver.

For Example

Okay, the broken gull let
me lift it
from the sand.
Let me fumble it into a
box, with the
lid open.
Okay, I put the box into
my car and started
up the highway
to the place where
sometimes, sometimes not,
such things can be mended.

the gull at first was quiet.
How everything turns out
one way or another, I
won't call it good or bad,
Just
one way or another.
Then the gull lurched from
the box and onto
the back of the front seat
and
punched me.
Okay, a little blood slid
down.
But we all know, don't we,
how sometimes
things have to feel anger,
so as not
    to be defeated?
I love this world, even in
its hard places.
A bird too must love this
world,
even in its hard places.
So, even  if the effort may
come to nothing,
you have to do something.

It was, generally speaking,
a perfectly beautiful
summer morning.
The gull beat the air with
its good wing.
I kept my eyes on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment