Friday, May 6, 2011

clay thoughts

sculpture by Adrian Arleo
Why I do clay?
When I play in clay I feel so intensely alive and connected to myself in the present and I also feel connected to my ancestors who certainly also loved the clay and felt this calling to create.  It doesn't have to be worthy of keeping.  Just the act of creating releases the mind and the hands together.  (I wish I could create like this artist from New Mexico...but it isn't required for the spiritual release).  It is a bit like not having boundaries, this living in the moment and sometimes I honestly feel a little guilty for taking the time to do this clay work that I am probably going to squish.  Maybe, I should instead do laundry or something "useful".   Handbuilding is kind of a barometer for how I am doing emotionally,  how am I in relationship to the world, to my people, to my parenting, to myself as I am now?  I can get it all out in the clay. The little rather primitive forms I make, is a way for me to connect with the Divine.( isn't this what people have been doing forever in clay connecting to Divine bringing Divine into everyday life.)  Physical representations of prayers for good crops, or no war, celebrations of family, or praise for the beauty in all things.  I love these prayers made with my hands, a gift from the earth, given back with a prayer infused.  I discover where my passion is---who I am today, what is important to me and how I relate to the world around me.  I discover texture and pleasing repetitive motions with carving clay or throwing.  My emotions written with my fingers, directly from my heart and out through my fingers is so much easier to translate than words especially when words don't come with ease.  The clay reminds me of what I ache for... that is connection to Divine, lustful loving of life every day.  this is how it should be.  I want meaning in my life and to make a life giving, sustaining contribution to the world.  I ache to have a purpose here, to make a difference today and tomorrow, that the world may be a better place because I breathe in and I breathe out.  May it be so.  OK, I gotta go make a baby deer or something sweet and small and precious to my heart.  My dear teacher of all things art, Melanie, I am so grateful for this gift of clay in my life.  Thank you for sharing with me and so many others.  Sending you much love and gratitude

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jamie! Had no idea you have gone through so much! I think about you alot. You were always such an inspiration to me....to be a better me. You were the balanced (or atleast trying to balance)one! Always so sweet and honest, and full of integrity. I wanted to grow up to be just like you! Do you remember the journal jar I gave you one yr for Christmas? I still have 2 clay bowls that you made.....OMG.....10+yrs ago. I simply cherish them..."my friend Jamie made those with her own 2 hands!!" is what I tell everyone. I cried 2 Christmas' ago because a purple glass ball ornament you gave was broken! :(
    I hope you are doing well. Miss you much!
    Stacey McGill Payne

    ReplyDelete